Monday, July 21, 2014

HB 5707 - Proposed Kratom Ban in Michigan

Hi folks,

Time to exercise your digits and type a letter to the Michigan legislature! I found out about this through the Kratom Association Facebook page. Below is the contact information for the sponsor of the bill, George Darany.

Rep. George Darany
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Fax: (517) 373-7538
Phone: (517) 373-0847
Toll Free: (855) 775-1515
Email: georgetdarany@house.mi.gov

If you need a little help getting started, here's the letter I sent:

Dear Mr. Darany,

I am thirty-eight years old, a husband, and a father of a seven year-old. I have worked in the same industry for fifteen years. One might say that I'm dependable, and have a strong work ethic. I pay taxes to fund my local, state, and federal government's effort to support and improve our nation. I strive to treat those around me with respect and compassion, and to set a good moral example for my child.

Like many Americans, I suffer from anxiety and depression, and take a combination of prescription drugs to help me lead a more productive and enjoyable life. These medications have worked quite well, but also have some undesirable side effects such as weight gain, reduced energy, lack of emotional range, and other minor (but unpleasant) side effects. Because of these side effects, I researched alternative, natural forms of treatment for quite some time. My research lead me to kratom, which I now consume daily as a tea. I was troubled to hear of the inclusion of Kratom and its alkaloids in House Bill 5707. By classifying kratom as a Schedule V controlled substance, you are removing the kratom leaf as an option for many who use the plant as a natural alternative to traditional synthetic pharmaceuticals. You are also setting a precedent for other states, which is one of the reasons I was compelled to contact you. I use kratom in a responsible, non-recreational manner, and have benefitted immensely since I first began taking it several years ago. Much like I would use a traditional prescription medication, I take a small dose of kratom once or twice per day as needed, usually mixed with coffee or tea. Its effects last approximately two to three hours, providing energy and focus while at the same time keeping my anxiety in check. It combats the less desirable side effects of my prescription medication, and seems to be at least as effective in fighting the anxiety and depression that I began treating with prescription medication years ago.

Kratom has become a critical component in my self-improvement efforts. I have become a more productive professional, and a more engaged husband and father. I am not a criminal, nor are the others like me who have found renewed hope with this plant. I sympathize with your efforts to create a safe, drug-free environment for your citizens, but criminalizing Kratom only hinders those like me who only seek to improve themselves through a holistic approach.

Thank you for your time.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments should be clearly-written, and courteous. Comments deemed by the site administrator to be mean-spirited, rude, threatening, or off-topic, may be removed at the whim of the administrator.